Skip to main content

Eight Pointed Cross

 "Eight Pointed Cross"

*For confidential purposes, I am using "Eight Pointed Cross" as a pseudonymous name for the actual organization. *

Ever since elementary school years, I have always been stoked to join this first aid uniformed body. The members of this uniformed body would come to our classes annually, wearing their smart uniforms, collecting donation funds from the students and teachers. 

In my elementary school, students were exposed to co-curricular activities in the age of 8. Well, I was of course, not excluded from any of this. I joined the art club, despite my lack of sense in art, if that made sense. This was mainly because the Eight Pointed Cross Society only offered membership to those who were 10 years old and above. 

Failing to Join The Association

There comes my 10th year of being on earth, things took a turn, but I'm not mad at it. In the early months of standard four, co-curriculum was a hot topic among our batch. Everyone was either super excited to enter the band or join the basketball team, or be a part of the track and field squad. I was a tad bit different, my only wish was to join this Eight Pointed Cross association, I wanted to be that cool kid walking between classrooms to ask for donations, and be able to perform fracture bandaging on my own friends. To recall back, I think I was kind of hyped up on being a nerd somehow eh.

Well to my surprise, or maybe anyone else's surprise, I got recruited into choir. Well, technically I passed an entry test, which was singing in front of the choir coach. I liked singing, so it felt good to receive the recognition that I had "potential" to be a choir member (?) .


So, you might be wondering... I thought you could choose 3 co-curricular units (uniformed body, sports, society) as an elementary school student? Alright, here's the thing, in my school, once you are chosen as a choir member, you are the school representative, which means you have to focus on choir solely. Long story short, even if I was registered as a member of the Eight Pointed Cross Society, I did not have the chance to join their first aid trainings. Yep that's it.

I remember feeling bad when I saw my friends who joined the society---- the way they looked super cool flipping their first aid notes about bandaging, CPR and so on... everything about science amazed me, and it hurt me to not do that as a kiddo. However, don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed choir, it was one of the best memories I had in my childhood (not to mention we won Bronze for a national competition weeee)

Innocent Recruit Phase

Middle school, innocent 13-year-old me. Stepping into the new environment, I thought it was a great opportunity for me to finally dive right into first aid. I must say I was lucky enough to join the Eight Pointed Cross association, it was one of the most popular uniformed body in my middle school, alongside with the Scouts Association. I managed to be the first few ones to line up and choose the co-curricular activities I wished to participate in. 

...So I officially became the recruit of the Eight Pointed Cross. And with that, I travelled to school almost every Saturday, just to attend foot drill sessions and to listen to basic first aid lessons given by the school seniors. Good old times eh.

The Smart Uniform

What was next? Ah this...

So one day I was waking at the corridor, the chairperson of the club convinced me to take the first aid exam. I was a bit skeptical at first, well not of the exam, but of my own knowledge and practical skills. "Taking the exam now is better than taking it next year. Being a recruit is so boring; of you pass the exam this year, you'll be able to learn much more things,"

And boy oh boy, she was right. We'll talk about that briefly later...

I remember pouring my heart and soul annotating and studying the lecture slides provided, I wanted to pass so badly hahaha. 

August 2016, I passed my written, bandaging, transportation, CPR, choking, recovery position tests---and failed my fracture assessment. Why you ask, I was given a scenario where the casualty had a left collarbone fracture, thus I should perform an elevation sling on his left upper limb. Nervous me did the opposite instead, tying the sling on the right upper limb, which resulted in failure for the test. 
Fortunately, the protocol that time was that, fracture assessment was not an essential station to pass in order to obtain a first aid qualification. (I made sure to learn my mistakes after that, making sure I passed all the assessments every year to obtain my annual efficiency.)
 
In the end of year 2016, I was officially a cadet of the Eight Pointed Cross association, a qualified and certified first aider.

Happy Newly Passed

Excited to venture into the world of first aid, I, along with a few of my batchmates, were active in all sorts of activities. It did not matter if it was foot drill in school, or duties and camps from the headquarters----as long as we were eligible to join them, we would. 

My batchmates and I used to be super competitive about joining public duties, those were the only times we could brag about being outside treating all sorts of injuries, mainly the minor cases ( cause we only knew very basic first aid stuff). 
Ah and foot drill, we started from zero, and then became the foot drill champions among the afternoon session kiddos. It was truly a thrilling and memorable one, for our batch would reach school early at least twice per week, just to march and annoy the hell out of the morning session teachers lol. The sounds of stomping on the ground and the sharp lines of presenting salutations, those were the satisfying elements that made us consistent in training. 


Responsibility N times

When we passed our basic first aid exams, it signifies that we were practically  "seniors" to the recruits. And there comes responsibility, I was appointed as a committee member, often involved in organizing activities such as interaction day, mock exam and flag day. It was so overwhelming at first, in every aspect you can imagine. It takes a long period of time and dedication to pick up the skills of being assertive, communicative and firm at the same time; and believe me when I say I am still learning how to lead and inspire till this very day. 

If it was not for the Eight Pointed Cross association, I wouldn't have the chance to take up big responsibilities (aka premature adulting). I felt that I was being recognized, and I am forever grateful for that. 

I have no words except a sincere "Thank You" to my batchmates for being my strongest support system while aiding with the administrative and operational works in school, it was truly a hectic (almost chaotic) one. Without them, I probably would have given up in the very early stages.

I have been a committee member for five years, and I've learnt so much from it. 
I have many of my "first times" as a member of the Eight Pointed Cross association...
My first MRT ride
My first meeting minute 
My first formal e-mail 
My first encounter working with adults
My first camping experience
My first first aid standby
My first grand award


Summary, Or Else It Would be VERY Lengthy

Obviously this blog ain't enough to document all my amazing experiences I have had in this association. There were so many things my batchmates and I struggled with, cried of, and argued over...and till this day as of 5th September 2022, few of us are still part of the Eight Pointed Cross association, trying our best to service the mankind (yet to become an advanced first aid practitioner, but attempting to). For me, this association has evolved as a part of my life; it used to be the most important thing in my middle school and high school life; now that I have other priorities, it is a platform for me to connect with my batchmates, seniors and juniors in a good way, reminding me of my roots, how far I've come and grown as a person. Nonetheless, it deserves a special place in my heart. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into The Undergraduate World of Psychology BD_Y1S1: Uncertainty and Overwhelm

 "Into The Undergraduate World of Psychology BD_Y1S1: Uncertainty and Overwhelm " A non-academic summary of my first semester in university as an undergraduate student. "...the beauty of the red-brick buildings thereof was just inspiring,"  my favorite line from my personal statement for my university application. To me, this line reflects how naive I was, for I did not know what was coming.  I liked to think that I was ready to embrace the unknowns during my time as an undergraduate... In my secondary school and pre-university years, I made much effort to get information on psychology studies; watching YouTube videos, listening to podcasts, attending offline/ online workshops, texting seniors... you name it, I did everything I could to make myself "feel prepared" for this degree. I feel a bit embarrassed to say this, but I had my whole academic journey planned out, from A to Z, how I wanted to do postgraduate studies and all that... it was kind of subtle,...

A Volunteer Program Behind Gates and Bars

  "A Volunteer Program Behind Gates and Bars" 23rd June 2023, my second consecutive Friday without rehearsals for major events in my university. It was a lazy lazy Friday, no lectures, no master of ceremony (MC) practices. At 9.01am, a string of forwarded messages popped up and caught my attention. I was contemplating, whether to volunteer myself, or not, for a few reasons: 1. I did not know the exact date for my German exam. 2. 26th July was the date for my last paper of the semester, which happened to also be the date of evaluation for the programme. 3. One of my presentations, with the time tba, would be on the date of the programme briefing 4. I was scared and uncertain(?) I have always been a fan of watching YouTube videos about criminal psychology and prison (Inside the Probation Service & Inside Maximum Security by CNA, as well as Behind Bars by Free Documentary, JCS criminal psychology, and the list goes on). Not to mention, 《怒火街头 》(Ghetto Justice) was, and IS sti...

《第十二届马大国大佛青营-圆缘圈》

  《第十二届马大国大佛青营-圆缘圈》 佛宝林-摄影师:编辑组 2023年,在好奇心的驱使下去听了国大举办的聚缘小站(初级佛学班)。印象中,法严尊者带领大众念了念巴利文,梵文的偈颂,聊起了《苦》这门课。那时觉得好深奥,特别多名像听不懂;觉得很羞愧,报生纸上明明写着自己是位佛教徒,自己却更了解其他的宗教。然而在一次次的聚缘小站中,不完全听得懂讲师所分享的,但能微微感受到佛学会的包容——有一丝温暖;很难不察觉到大家对于佛学的精进与分享欲。 入营前最后一餐:苹果派 2024年,开始承担团体的理事——得频繁地与许多人对接工作,分配工作,执行工作,监督工作;累了要避免喊累,害怕的时候不能表现得太慌;遇到形形色色的人,有时满足不了全体筹委/理事,但还得继续往前冲。我那时告诉自己:必须自私一点了,把一些时间献给自己,调整好了状态,再回来战场继续奋斗吧。 “Boss,今年的佛青营参加吗?3月的...... 可是会收手机几天啦。” 收手机?太好了不用看到这些东西,能逃避现实就赶紧逃吧! "嗯嗯,参加,参加。必须得参加。” 读下去前,这里有个声明:这篇文章只代表本人的立场,感受和想法。 *以下心得是营队期间每一晚入睡前写的;本人已对这些段落加以处理。 第一天 (23/02/2024) 昨晚......不对,是今早,其实很“早"睡,也确实很早醒。 一早起来梳洗后,开启了”交代工作“的环节————期待,害怕。 期待终于可以把任务放下了;害怕,因为要把任务放下了,好害怕回到家后开邮件箱那一刻。 感恩站在左边的这位善知识,缓解了我一丝丝的焦虑 我是否会打回原形? 我不知道,也没有人可以预测。 想记下今天的重点词汇。 (一)慈悲: 谅解他人,不带给他人不便。 If that brings peace to both of us, why not do it? 我改变不了处境,但我能改变态度。 把心处理好,才好好去解决问题。 (二)感恩: 终于有个时段让我学佛咯。虽然不敢说太多话,还蛮惊讶大家都蛮热情,友好的。感恩自己拿下了这个机会,踏出舒适圈学习。 谢谢大家。 谢谢自己。 对对对。 第二天 (24/02/2024) 哈罗,辅导员有看我的心得(?) 哈哈。如果有,希望不要再早饭时讨论哦:)(还是我多心了) 今天,有几样事情啦! i) 静坐完后期,喝白开水时,味道是甜的。 ii)...